BRILLIANT and UOIT SCORECARD 2016
- A Brilliant First: Sustainable Engine Technologies Inc., a Brilliant Cohort 1 (summer 2015) incubator participant, sells their technology. Founders go on to consult to acquirer and begin a new venture in different field: Aquaponics.
- $460,000: Investment in a Brilliant Cohort 1 (summer 2015) incubator participant.
- $ 25,000: Ignite Durham 2016 winner General Category Hexyoo Scientific – www.hexyoo.com - Mike Holmes is one of the founders. Mike was an Assistant Professor (Human Neuromechanics) in the Faculty of Health Sciences at the University of Ontario Institute of Technology until fall of 2016.
- $ 5,000: Ignite 2016 winner of the student category: Ultima Apparel, led by UOIT students.
- 582: Participants in Brilliant Entrepreneurship events, workshops and competitions in the first 9 months of FY 2016/17.
- 263: Enrollment in 2015/2016 in the university’s Game Development and Entrepreneurship program.
- 28: Startups led by UOIT students, faculty and alumni since 2013
- 19: Number of startup teams in Brilliant incubator Cohort 1 (summer 2015) and Cohort 2 (summer 2016)
- 13: Firefly awards in 2016 which helped Brilliant Entrepreneurship startups ranging from gaming, and e-commerce to 3D virtual training for surgeons
- 2: UOIT winners of Ignite Durham Award (Fall 2016). Ignite is a contest that offers entrepreneurs the resources they need to accelerate their business plans into start-up companies.
- UOIT's Faculty of Business and Information Technology launches an Entrepreneurship minor available to students enrolled in any program at UOIT.
Brilliant Entrepreneurship at UOIT is supported in part by FastStart and Incubate Innovate Network of Canada (I-INC). FastStart is a member of the Ontario Network of Excellence and is funded in part by the Ontario Centres of Excellence. I-INC is supported in part by the National Research Council Canada.