COMPETITIONS, AWARDS & GRANTS 2017
CNE - Emerging Innovators Pitch Competition
About the Pitch Competiton
Canada’s brightest young innovators converge in The Garage over three days(August 18 - 20) to pitch their cutting edge inventions, as they compete for prize money and in-kind services.
Top winners of each category will win a $5000.00 cash prize and will then go on to compete in the Ontario Semi-Finals on August 20 @ 2:30 pm. Top two winners of the Ontario and Alberta Semi-Finals will compete in the National Finals held on August 20 @5:30 pm for the chance to win the top prize of $25,000.00!
The Pitch Competition Categories:
- Agri-Tech and Food-Tech
- Biotech and Health Tech
- Lifestyle Innovation
- Social Innovation
- Virtual/Augmented Reality Innovation
- Women Entrepreneurs
For more information and how to apply click here May 31, 2017
Studio Y applications are open!
We're now taking applications for our 2017–2018 Fellowship, which runs part-time between September and May.
Why should you apply?
- Studio Y isn’t just a fast-paced systems leadership training opportunity – fellows will also develop a unique project powered by access to the coaching, learning, and mentorship available inside the MaRS ecosystem.
- This funded cohort is built upon a flexible model to complement different careers. Fellows will complete seven on-site residencies at MaRS, where they'll take a deep dive into the Studio Y curriculum.
- Fellows will have the incomparable opportunity to apply to a full-time placement at MaRS. A select number of applicants will be matched with a MaRS team for the duration of their fellowship. Applicants who demonstrate the potential to be placed within a MaRS team will receive $30,000 in funding for this immersive work experience.
In response to the growing demand for information on the Studio Y Fellowship, we have created several opportunities for you to learn about this year’s application and program details.
APPLY TO STUDIO Y May 15, 2017
Northumberland, Ontario, Canada’s annual $100,000 startup competition
N100 is now open for applications!
Through Three Rounds (The Pitch, Business Planning and Negotiation) N100 startups compete for a $100,000 convertible note that will support key milestones in their development, such as finalizing a prototype. The competition (which runs from March to July) is designed to accelerate high growth potential startups and to position them for follow-on investment.
Application deadline is March 3, 2017 at 11:59 PM EST.!
For more information and how to apply click N100 Competition Jan 25, 2017
CANADA SUMMER JOBS
Canada Summer Jobs provides a subsidy to hire a student for your company. Your application must be submitted by 23:59 (Pacific Standard Time), on January 20, 2017
- This program will cover up to 50% of wage costs at the minimum wage level.
- You must pay Mandatory Employment Related Costs for their employees. These costs include Employment Insurance premiums, Canada or Quebec Pension Plan contributions, vacation pay, Workers' Compensation premiums or equivalent liability insurance, health insurance and parental insurance premiums in Quebec and Ontario.
- Employment must be full time (minimum 30 hours per week - max 40 hours per week) and duration of job must be between six and sixteen weeks. Student must work in Canada.
Your eligibility as and employer - For profit private sector employers include:
- bodies, incorporated or unincorporated, including partnerships and sole proprietorship's
- self-employed persons
The student you hire must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment
- have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and
- be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
For details and applications go to Canada Summer Jobs January 4, 2017
Global Student Entrepreneur Awards (GSEA) open to young undergraduate entrepreneurs
“The Global Student Entrepreneur Awards (GSEA) is the premier global competition for students who own and operate a for-profit business while attending college or university. Nominees compete against their peers from around the world in a series of local and/or national competitions in hopes to qualify for GSEA Finals.”
For details please click here
The GlobalStart Voucher Program aims to help Ontario-based youth-led start-ups:
- Immerse themselves in a selected global market outside of North America through a three to six month placement with a host incubator/accelerator;
- Develop strong business relationships that are only possible through sustained face-to-face interaction;
- Gain first-hand knowledge of the opportunity within that market; and
- Achieve tangible business goals in the selected global market outside of North America, such as:
- Investment, and
- Strategic partnerships.
Youth-led start-ups may receive up to $15,000 in OCE cash with a 1:1 match from the start-up. The GlobalStart Voucher Program is a nomination-based program. CLAs/OCEAs and RICs will be asked to provide a ranked list of nominees for this program. The nominations will be evaluated and OCE will invite successful nominees to submit an application for funding. Preference will be given to start-ups (to be called nominees from this point forward) that demonstrate a reasonable chance of achieving sales, investment, or a strategic partnership as a result of receiving the Voucher. Up to 42 nominees will be selected for placement with a global incubator/accelerator for between three and six months each fiscal year.
Student Companies interested should let us know by August 19, 2016 contact email@example.com
The GlobalStart Website is now updated with full details please click here
Starter Company is a great opportunity for enterprising young people between the ages of 18-29 who want to start, and or expand a business in their community and are not students in school. The program provides advice and mentorship from local business leaders to help get your business up and running; start-up money to kick off a new business or expand your current business; as well as experience of running a successful business that may help you obtain more traditional financing such as bank loan if you so require in the future.
GlobalStart Pitch Competition
Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE) will hold its first GlobalStart Pitch Competition at Discovery 2016, this year in partnership with the Korea Institute of Startup and Entrepreneurship Development (KISED).
Three Ontario companies will be selected as finalists to compete for an OCE GlobalStart award of $15,000 to help them access the first global market that they have identified. Similarly, three Korean companies will be selected as finalists to compete for an equivalent award to be awarded by KISED.
Innovative, technology-based start-ups from Ontario and Korea that are at the customer validation or customer creation stage are encouraged to apply.
Submission deadline is: April 15, 2016
For full details, please click here.
Go beyond your typical student summer job and turn your idea into a business. Start in June or July and finish by Labour Day. The Summer Company program provides students between 15-29 years old in Ontario up to $3,000, hands-on coaching and mentoring to help you start and operate your business.The Business Advisory Centre Durham (BACD) manages the Summer Company program.
Submission deadline is: May 6, 2016
The New York Institute for Business and Finance
The Summer Programs are three weeks of high level classes held in New York. Mornings are dedicated to high level classes. Visits of institutions such as the New York Institute for Business and are organized on the afternoons. Meetings and conferences with professionals give students the opportunity to discover Wall Street professional world and to build their network. Fridays and evenings are free, to let students enjoy New York and the US.
Sessions start in both July and August.
For full details, please visit The New York Institute for Business and Finance's website.
AGE-WELL Pitch Competition
The AGE-WELL Pitch Competition: Technology to Support People with Dementia is a networking event for emerging ideas, products, and startups in the technology and aging space with a focus on dementia. At the pitch competition, 10-12 finalist will present their business focus on stage in a rapid 5 minute presentation to a panel of expert judges.
July 23, 2016
For full details, please click here.