PITCH IT! 2017 - WIN $500!
COMPETITION NOW CLOSED. JOIN US AT FLEMING COLLEGE ON OCTOBER 4, AT 6:00 PM - SCROLL DOWN FOR DETAILS.
#PITCHIT2017 - FIND OUT WHAT YOUR FRIENDS ARE SAYING!
five $500 awards available! one in each of the categories below.
- Agriculture and Food
- Information Technology & Media (including Media & Gaming)
- Clean Tech & The Environment
- Trades & Retail Business
- Lifestyle & Fashion
how do i enter?
DOWNLOAD, FILL IN, SAVE AND SEND THE SUBMISSION FORM TO YOUR ACADEMIC INSTITUTION BY NOON ON SEPTEMBER 22. CONTACT INFO IS BELOW.
PLEASE SAVE YOUR SUBMISSION WITH THE TITLE IN THE FOLLOWING FORMAT: YOUR LAST NAME_PROJECT NAME.PDF
Please email USING THE subject line: Pitch It! 2017 Submission
email your submission to your school:
TRENT UNIVERSITY STUDENTS: email@example.com
FLEMING STUDENTS: Javier.Bravo@flemingcollege.ca
DURHAM COLLEGE STUDENTS: Lindsey.Jeremiah@durhamcollege.ca
UOIT STUDENTS: Jeffrey.Peng@uoit.ca
what happens next?
A JUDGING PANEL WILL REVIEW ALL submissions AND NARROW DOWN THE NEW ENTERPRISE IDEAS TO A “SHORT-LIST” OF 3-5 PROPOSALS FOR EACH INDUSTRY AREA (AREAS LISTED ABOVE)
selected APPLICANTS IN EACH CATEGORY WILL BE ASKED TO “PITCH” THEIR IDEA TO THE FASTSTART JUDGING PANEL, AND ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS THAT THE JUDGES MAY HAVE. THE JUDGES WILL DETERMINE THE FOUR WINNING IDEAS FOR NEW ENTERPRISES
IF YOU ARE SELECTED AS A FINALIST YOU WILL ENTER THE:
- PITCH COMPETITION: OCTOBER 4, 2017, 6:00 P.M. | Room C2125, Sutherland Campus - Fleming College, 599 Brealey Drive, Peterborough, ON, K9J 7B1
- ALL ARE WELCOME TO ATTEND THE PITCH COMPETITION
+ When do things happen?
- Competition Launch: September 8, 2017
- Application Deadline: September 22, 2017 NOON
- Judges selection of shortlist to Pitch: September 28, 2017
- Pitch Competition: October 4, 2017, 6:00 p.m. Room C2125 Sutherland Campus, Fleming College, Peterborough
+ Do I have to be a student?
Generally yes. Students enrolled at one of the following: Durham College, Fleming College, Trent University, or UOIT are eligible for this competition. If a team is entering a minimum of half of your team must be students from the eligible academic institutions. All should be between the ages of 18-29.
+ Do I have to be in a team or can I apply by myself?
You may enter as an individual or as a team.
+ Is there an age restriction?
Yes, you must be between the ages of 18 and 29. If you are part of a class which is participating in the competition and you do not meet the age restriction this is acceptable.
+ Can entry into the competition be undertaken as a class project?
Yes. This competition may be used as a class project - either as one project for the whole class or with the class broken up into teams of 4 or 5 students.
+ Is there a limit on how many submissions can be made?
1 entry per team per category - yes you can make up to 4 submissions - 1 for each category!
+ My submission is blank! What happened?
If this happens to you, please ensure you download and save the file to your computer. Please then open it with a reader (i.e. Adobe Acrobat or similiar) and fill it in the reader and save before submitting.
+ What if I have participated in an incubator at one of the schools? Am I still eligible?
Yes. Past or present incubator participants are eligible but you must submit a NEW idea to this competition.
+ What kind of ideas are you looking for?
- Both “for profit” business or a “not-for-profit” social enterprise are acceptable.
- There should be some element of innovation - a new, never-been done before (in our region or in a wider geography) product, technology or service.
- The idea should bring value to the FastStart Region. In other words there should be an economic and/or social benefit to the area. (examples – new jobs, cost-effective means to address social issues, etc.)
- FastStart Region: Our FastStart region is the core territory serviced by the four FastStart institutions including the region of Durham, the Greater Peterborough area, the City of Kawartha Lakes, Northumberland County, Haliburton County.
- If you can demonstrate potential that you could form the new enterprise and launch it this is also important.
+ Who are the Judges and who selects them?
Each school selects a judge for the panel. All of the judges are from the private sector or government and are selected for their expertise. None of the judges are employed by a participating school or FastStart partner organization.