What is IdeaEngine?
IdeaEngine is a joint collaboration between Durham College, Spark Centre and UOIT Brilliant Entrepreneurship. This accelerated program is designed to help student entrepreneurs focus solely on business idea generation and development and consists of a series of weekly, 2-hour workshops and activities. We will take you from developing your business idea to pitching it - in just one semester!
IdeaEngine is the perfect program for you if:
- You have a business idea that needs to be developed
- You are curious about entrepreneurial opportunities
- You are interested in starting your own business venture
IdeaEngine Program Info
The program will be delivered through a combination of workshops, mentoring (both from advisors and peer-to-peer) and social events.
These hands-on, 2-hour sessions will cover basic ideation topics in an attempt to help students work through the process of developing their idea. As these are hands-on, there with be a greater interactive nature to the workshops then a standard lecture format. Participants will also be provided with take-away activities to assist in the development of their ideas.
Ideation Stations are informal, pre-scheduled sessions that can either be group or one-on-one, that connect participants with advisors to help develop their idea and answer any questions they may have.
Throughout the program, there will be fun, informal, networking or ‘social events’ that will provide participants the opportunity to connect further with advisors, each other, as well as with external members.
Pitch Contest and Celebration
At the conclusion of our on-campus business accelerator, you will have an opportunity to pitch your developed business idea in front of a panel of judges and you could win cash prizes (up to $1,500)! We will provide all of the coaching and support you need to take part in this great competition - learn how to pitch like a boss!
Schedule of Events
- Launch & Workshop 1: Painstorming The Idea - Wednesday, October 26th (6:00pm -8:00pm)
- Ideation Stations - Week of October 31st (6:00pm -8:00pm)
- Workshop 2: Brainstorming The Idea - Wednesday, November 9th (6:00pm - 8:00pm)
- 'Monday Mashup' Networking Night - Monday, November 14th (6:00pm - 8:00pm)
- Ideation Stations - Week of November 14th (6:00pm -8:00pm)
- Workshop 3: Pitching The Idea - Week of November 23rd (6:00pm -8:00pm)
- Pitch Contest & Closing Celebration - Wednesday, January 18th (6:00pm - 9:00pm)
+ Is this program for me?
Whether you have a business idea or are just curious about startups and entrepreneurship, this program can assist!
+ Do I need a business background?
No, participants are not required to have any prior business knowledge.
+ Do I need to pay?
No, there is no cost to participate.
+ What is my commitment level?
Students are expected to participate fully in any programming and to interact regularly with their mentors.
+ Who can participate?
This event is open to all students (undergraduate and graduate) from UOIT and any student from Durham College.
+ What kind of ideas does this program work with?
IdeaEngine is designed to help students work through their startup idea, regardless of the industry.